Serving children ages 5-12 years old.
What We Want You To Know
Down Syndrome of Louisville has been working toward our mission to educate and support people with Down syndrome, their families, and the community that serves them since we began in 1977 at Jefferson County Public School’s-Field Elementary.
Significant parts of this support have been through guidance and resources for school-age children and their families. We realize that it is also important to support the educators that have been so dedicated to fostering the development of our students. Because of that, DSL is committed to providing information, training, resources, and support by partnering with area districts and educators who work with students with Down syndrome.
What Can We Help With
Our services are at no cost and are for the benefit of the entire educational team including, general and special educators, administrators, paraeducators, and specialists.
- Call when you have questions about supporting students with Down syndrome
- Access consultants and specialists in these areas: best practices, behavior, co-occurring diagnoses, referrals for communication devices
- Classroom observations
- Assistance adapting curriculum and setting up the educational environment for success.
- Receive our e-newsletter, specific to educating students with Down syndrome
- Take advantage of our lending library of books and materials specific to Down syndrome
- On-site training is available
- Down syndrome Ability Awareness presentation for the school or classroom- educating students and teachers what it means to be a Kindness Warrior.
- IEP Support