New & Expecting Family Opportunities
If you have just received a Down syndrome diagnosis, you are probably experiencing a whirlwind of emotions. Learning that your baby has Down syndrome is an overwhelming and emotional experience for most parents. You may initially feel confused, frightened, angry, saddened, and/or isolated. Let us provide resources and education. Let us connect you to other parents who have been in your shoes. Try to take things one day at a time and remember that your baby is a baby first- and is not defined by their diagnosis.
Right now there may be a lot of emphasis on how your baby may be different and the potential medical problems he or she may face, but no one can predict future challenges. You may be feeling like this is not what you had planned. We like to share this poem that often resonates with our newly diagnosed families: Welcome to Holland.
Over time, you will find that children with Down syndrome are more alike than different from other children.
Fill Out our New Family Connection Form
Filling out this form will help us help you. We can ensure that your child is referred to the FREE First Steps: Developmental Intervention Program, allow for our Family Engagement Coordinator to meet you and help you with any resources you may need, and provide you with a welcome basket courtesy of Skyler’s Smiles Baskets. We will also securely save your information so you can receive our Weekly Family Updates and important Transition information throughout your child’s lifetime.
- CURRENT Ds Pediatric Medical Guidelines
- Developmental Checklists
- Health Care Guidelines for Infants 1-12 months
- The Heart & Down Syndrome- NDSS
- Get a personalized care plan at Down Syndrome Clinic to You (DSC2U) brings the best of health and wellness information about Down syndrome to caregivers and primary care physicians around the globe. In an effort to help everyone access DSL provides $10 coupons for all our families. Request a Coupon!
- Car Seats & Driving
- Hospital Stay Support for families: DSL partners with a local charity, Critically Loved to be sure our families are loved on during long hospital stays. If you have recently heard you will be in the hospital long-term or know of a patient with Down syndrome who will be, please text us their information at 502-333-4478 so that we can notify those who deliver care packages.
Additional Family Support
- Family Mentor Program
- Family Support Squads
- Facebook Connection Groups
- NDSS: Caring for your family
- NDSC: Parent Webinars
- Lumind: Family Support Groups
- Lumind: Webinar Series
- DSDN: Connection Groups
- DSDN: Retreats
- You may find that your family is asking what they can do to help. Here is something that is easy and free for everyone: Encourage friends & family to Become a Kindness Warrior!
Early Intervention Services & Additional Resources
First Steps KY & IN | Learn more about First Steps & Developmental Intervention Services. This is a FREE service for all children with DS. DSL can refer you, or you can self-refer.
Social Security Information | This can help explain SSI for an individual with a disability, and how to start the application process.
Diversity & Inclusion Book List
This book can help younger siblings, friends, and family understand Ds.
National Down Syndrome Adoption Network provides information to birth families who may be seeking alternatives to parenting as they prepare for the arrival of their child. You may contact us to find out more or contact NDSAN directly at (513) 213-9615.
A local nonprofit, Angels in Disguise, also offers support for those adopting a child with Down Syndrome.
Plan a Visit
We cannot wait to meet you. When you are ready to meet us- please just fill out our new family information form, or if it is more convenient you may call or text us at 502-333-4478. We will be in touch ASAP!
Early Ed Calendar
Here are just some of the things we offer our new families:
- A Tour of Down Syndrome of Louisville’s main campus and all we have to offer.
- Meet a family with similar circumstances to your own. You can text, call or meet in person- whatever your comfort level may be.
- Meet with other moms – Our moms love to gather and share their experiences if it benefits a new or soon-to-be mom
- Sibling Education/Workshops – We offer educational resources, books, and support groups for the entire family
- Come see an Early Education Class
- Attend one of may Family Fun Events
- Get on our email and text lists so that you can stay up to date with everything happening at DSL
Contact us by phone or text at 502-333-4478 or by completing our New Family Connection Form.