Down Syndrome of Louisville recognizes that caregivers need support too. We offer a variety of support services and resources to be sure that those caring for individuals with Down syndrome know that they are not alone.
Local Respite Services
- Harbor House Respite Services
- All about CLS
- DSL’s Family Mentor Program
- Online Connection Groups
- Email a Mom
- Email a Dad
- Email a Sibling
- Support for parents and siblings with our Family Support Squads: which include family mentoring, and/or “Nights Out” that can provide much-needed respite.
- Bi-Annual “ Mom’s Night Out” at our Louisville Campus in partnership with other area nonprofits who serve parents with children who need extra care.
- Each Year DSL organizes a Giving Tree to support those DSL Families in need during the holidays. Stay tuned for more information on our 2022 Giving Tree opportunities.
- We have a Support Specialist who can help when crisis situations arrive. If you are in need of crisis support please contact us.
- DSL offers resources on Guardianship and Special Needs Trust. This is something that all of our parents are confronted with and we want to help you.
- We offer a large Resource & Lending Library on our Louisville Campus
- We offer monthly Family Education Workshops covering important and high-interest topics to help you and your child thrive.
- The Family Care Toolkit created by NDSC, with the support of the Global Down Syndrome Foundation. Vacations and respite are sometimes needed. It is essential to have important information in one place when a caregiver comes in to care for a person with Down syndrome, as well as other members of the family.
- Crisis Guide for Alzheimer’s & Dementia Caregivers from Caring.com
- Family Support Specialist, Diana Merzweiler, can help your family with things like:
- Emergency SCL Waiver Guidelines
- Residential Decisions
- Medicaid & Waiver Resources