Healthy Quarantine Cooking
Guest Chef Katie Croom
Katie kicked off week two of our Healthy Quarantine Cooking Series by spicing up our Tuesday morning with an ancient classic: guacamole! One of Katie’s favorite healthy snacks, guacamole has been around for thousands of years, and the original creators, the Aztecs, clearly mastered the art and flavors of their smashed creation. (Thank you Aztecs for sharing your delicious green goodness with us!) Our word, guacamole, is derived from the Aztec word “Molli”, which means “mashed or pureed”. Once mashed, these protein and potassium packing fruits make the most delectable creamy green goodness! They don’t call it “Holy Guacamole” for nothing! Thank you, Katie, for sharing your recipe with us – it was SMASH hit!!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 1 bowl for 4-6 friends
- 3 avocados, pitted peeled and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 3Tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Prep all ingredients first. Carefully cut avocados in half and pit the seeds. Scoop out all that green avocado goodness into your bowl. Gently mash with a fork, spoon, or potato masher.
- Tip: Katie recommends using a spoon to remove the avocado meat – the whole avocado will just pop right out!
- Dice up your large onion half into small, finely chopped bits. Repeat with your cilantro and Roma tomatoes.
- Tip: Katie suggests storing your diced add-ins in another bowl to keep your cutting board and counter area clean & neat!
- Mince the garlic cloves, using your garlic press.
- Tip: If you do not own a garlic press, you can carefully chop your garlic cloves or substitute fresh garlic for garlic salt!
- Measure out your lime juice and pour over your mashed avocados. Sprinkle in your salt. If you choose to add in some cayenne pepper you may add that now – but look out! It sure adds a kick!
- Add the rest of your ingredients atop your mashed avocados. Fold in all your add-ins until they are completely mixed in.
- Tip: Get creative with your add-ins! If you’d like to turn up the heat, add in chopped jalapenos or cayenne pepper! You can also substitute lime juice for fresh lime or lemon!
Serve & Enjoy Immediately!
Helpful Hint: Storing Guacamole can get tricky! Use a spoon to press out any air bubbles, cover, and store in an air-tight container for up to 2 days. But with how delicious this is, we bet it won’t last that long!!
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience! Tag @DownSyndromeofLouisville and use the #QuarantineCooking so we can check out your snacking twists!